Patterson Park News
The new grove of trees Friends of Patterson Park planted in March is doing great thanks to the volunteers who have been caring for them weekly. I recently met with new folks from PARD, Austin Parks Foundation, and Treefolks (our partners in the project) and they were all impressed with how the trees have thrived (even bloomed!) this summer!
The summer swim season at Patterson Pool was a lot of fun, and we are so grateful the pool opened after only a 2 day delay when a tree fell on the pool’s pump the day before it was scheduled to open and damaged it. A HUGE THANKS to the Patterson Piranha Swim Team families, who raised $700 to plant shade trees and possibly add shade sales before next year. The end-of-summer ice cream party was a blast, and brought out many neighbors to enjoy our pool before it closed until 2019.
Our Community Grant from the Austin Parks Foundation for the playground project has been funded and PARD will be applying for our permit soon. 134 people took the poll to choose the color scheme, and 48.5% voted for the palette featuring green, blue, turquoise and grey. Work will begin later this fall.
Photos by J. Potter-Miller
Upcoming Events at Patterson Park
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29 @ 7:30pm
Yoga with Zoe: A SafePlace Benefit
Austin Yoga + SoloSol Movement present this all-levels flow yoga class led by neighbor Zoe Mantarakis. Enjoy a nourishing sunset yoga class and shop yoga retail before and after from SoloSol Movement. Proceeds going to SafePlace, an organization aiming to end sexual assault and exploitation, child abuse, and domestic violence through prevention, intervention, and advocacy for change.Pay-what-you-can, $10-$20 suggested donation (cash only please).
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
Friends of Patterson Park Meeting
Sour Duck, 1814 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., 8pm
1. Welcome and introductions (5 mins.)
2. Update on Austin Parks Foundation Community Grant and next steps on playground project: Jennifer Potter-Miller (10 mins.)
2. Update on Neighborhood Partnering Program grant application: Jennifer Potter-Miller (5 mins.)
3. CherryWoodstock Music and Art Festival: Jeremy Klitzman, Organizer (10 mins.)
4. Roots and Wings Celebration: Kathleen Mannello, Austin Parks Foundation (10 mins.)
5. Proposed improvements to baseball field: Seth Kessler, Cap City Cobras (10 mins.)
6. Proposed tree planting & shade sails with funds raised by Patterson swim team: Dusty Harshman, Patterson Piranhas (10 mins.)
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 2
National Night Out
Patterson Park Pavilion, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Neighborhood block party at the park. Pot luck dinner, playtime, and hopefully a visit firefighters at Fire House #14.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27
Roots and Wings Celebration
Austin Parks Foundation and FoPP will co-host a satellite celebration to the Zilker Botanical Garden’s Family Arbor and Monarch Appreciation Day. Stay tuned for more details!
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11
CherryWoodstock Music and Art Festival
Patterson Park Great Lawn
The festival is winding it’s way through approval by the surrounding neighborhoods and PARD permitting.
Read more: http://cherrywood.org/cherrywoodstock-is-back/