Friends of Patterson Park is hosting a neighborhood block party for National Night Out! Join us at the pavilion for a relaxed potluck dinner on Tuesday, October 2nd from 5:30-7:30 pm. Firefighters from Fire Station #14 have been invited to attend, kids can tear up the playground, and everyone can enjoy getting to know their neighbors. Hopefully the weather will resemble fall.
National Night Out at Patterson Park in 2016 and 2017. Photos by J. Potter-Miller/FoPP.
Celebrating trees and pollinators of all kinds!
Join us on Halloween weekend to explore the park, enjoy nature based play and crafts, learn about our new and old trees, and celebrate in your best nature-themed costume!
The Roots & Wings Festival is a combined community-wide appreciation party for Arbor Day and Monarch Appreciation Day happening at the Zilker Botanical Gardens and four neighborhood parks around the city. Visit Zilker, Dittmar, Alderbrook or Brentwood Park after you start the day at Patterson Park.
Go Green! We encourage walking, biking, carpooling, ridesharing, and use of mass transit. Plan your trip via CAP Metro: http://www.capmetro.org
Patterson Park News
The new grove of trees Friends of Patterson Park planted in March is doing great thanks to the volunteers who have been caring for them weekly. I recently met with new folks from PARD, Austin Parks Foundation, and Treefolks (our partners in the project) and they were all impressed with how the trees have thrived (even bloomed!) this summer!
The summer swim season at Patterson Pool was a lot of fun, and we are so grateful the pool opened after only a 2 day delay when a tree fell on the pool’s pump the day before it was scheduled to open and damaged it. A HUGE THANKS to the Patterson Piranha Swim Team families, who raised $700 to plant shade trees and possibly add shade sales before next year. The end-of-summer ice cream party was a blast, and brought out many neighbors to enjoy our pool before it closed until 2019.
Our Community Grant from the Austin Parks Foundation for the playground project has been funded and PARD will be applying for our permit soon. 134 people took the poll to choose the color scheme, and 48.5% voted for the palette featuring green, blue, turquoise and grey. Work will begin later this fall.
Photos by J. Potter-Miller
Upcoming Events at Patterson Park
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 29 @ 7:30pm
Yoga with Zoe: A SafePlace Benefit
Austin Yoga + SoloSol Movement present this all-levels flow yoga class led by neighbor Zoe Mantarakis. Enjoy a nourishing sunset yoga class and shop yoga retail before and after from SoloSol Movement. Proceeds going to SafePlace, an organization aiming to end sexual assault and exploitation, child abuse, and domestic violence through prevention, intervention, and advocacy for change.Pay-what-you-can, $10-$20 suggested donation (cash only please).
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 6
Friends of Patterson Park Meeting
Sour Duck, 1814 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., 8pm
1. Welcome and introductions (5 mins.)
2. Update on Austin Parks Foundation Community Grant and next steps on playground project: Jennifer Potter-Miller (10 mins.)
2. Update on Neighborhood Partnering Program grant application: Jennifer Potter-Miller (5 mins.)
3. CherryWoodstock Music and Art Festival: Jeremy Klitzman, Organizer (10 mins.)
4. Roots and Wings Celebration: Kathleen Mannello, Austin Parks Foundation (10 mins.)
5. Proposed improvements to baseball field: Seth Kessler, Cap City Cobras (10 mins.)
6. Proposed tree planting & shade sails with funds raised by Patterson swim team: Dusty Harshman, Patterson Piranhas (10 mins.)
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 2
National Night Out
Patterson Park Pavilion, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
Neighborhood block party at the park. Pot luck dinner, playtime, and hopefully a visit firefighters at Fire House #14.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 27
Roots and Wings Celebration
Austin Parks Foundation and FoPP will co-host a satellite celebration to the Zilker Botanical Garden’s Family Arbor and Monarch Appreciation Day. Stay tuned for more details!
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11
CherryWoodstock Music and Art Festival
Patterson Park Great Lawn
The festival is winding it’s way through approval by the surrounding neighborhoods and PARD permitting.
Read more: http://cherrywood.org/cherrywoodstock-is-back/
Join Friends of Patterson Park for a discussion of current and proposed projects and refreshments. We’ve got a lot to talk about but will keep things moving quickly.
Thursday, Sept. 6 @ 8-9pm
Sour Duck, 1814 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
1) Welcome and introductions (5 mins.)
2) Update on Austin Parks Foundation Community Grant and next steps on playground project: Jennifer PM (10 mins.)
3) Update on Neighborhood Partnering Program grant application: Jennifer PM (5 mins.)
4) CherryWoodstock Music and Art Festival: Jeremy Klitzman, Organizer (10 mins.)
5) Tree and Butterfly Party (held in parallel to Oct. 27 Family Arbor and Monarch Appreciation Day at the Zilker Botanical Garden): Kathleen Mannello, Austin Parks Foundation (10 mins.)
6) Proposed improvements to baseball field: Seth Kessler, Cap City Cobras (10 mins.)
7) Proposed tree planting & shade sails with funds raised by Patterson swim team: Dusty Harshman, Patterson Piranhas (10 mins.)
By Jennifer Potter-Miller
Originally published in the August 2018 issue of The Flea
Friends of Patterson Park (FoPP) received a $50,000 ACL Music Festival Community Grant from the Austin Parks Foundation in June, which will support the construction of new playground equipment and park seating—addressing playground improvements, the number-one goal in our Neighborhood Park Plan.
The project, a collaboration with Austin Department of Parks and Recreation, Urban Patchwork, and Landscape Structures, includes a circular monkey bar and two spinners. New benches will be placed under the park’s oak trees, and small boulders will be grouped to form natural play elements and extra seating. Matching funds raised by the neighboring community during Amplify Austin will be instrumental in executing the improvements. FoPP is tremendously grateful to all the neighbors and neighborhood businesses who have supported its fundraising!
FoPP’s grant application to the City of Austin’s Neighborhood Partnering Program is currently under consideration. This grant would allow for updating park furnishings and making trail improvements.
In June, Patterson Park held a screening of How to Train Your Dragon, part of the Movies in the Park series hosted by Austin Parks Foundation, Alamo Drafthouse, and other sponsors. More than 250 people enjoyed the charming animated movie and food trucks on the lawn. Upcoming events include an End of Summer Pool Party (Aug. 18), National Night Out (Oct. 2), It’s My Park Day (Nov. 3) and CherryWoodstock (Nov. 10).
FoPP plans to wrap up the installation of the playground addition at It’s My Park Day 2018, and would love the help of all park lovers! To get involved, follow FoPP on Facebook or email email@example.com.
Saturday, August 18, 3-5 p.m.
End of Summer Pool Party
Friends of Patterson Park is thrilled to host APF’s Movies in the Park at our neighborhood park this week! Join the Austin Parks Foundation, Alamo Drafthouse and Whole Foods for a FREE screening of “How To Train Your Dragon”, on Thursday, June 21 at 9p.m. Bring a picnic or pick up dinner/snacks from one of the food trailers that will be there. The movie will start at 9 p.m., when it gets dark. Rain date is June 28.
Garbo’s Lobster Truck ATX
Noble Sandwich Co.
SATURDAY, JUNE 1 @ 9-11am
National Trails Day: Creek Cleanup at Willowbrook Reach
On National Trails Day, Friends and Lovers of Willowbrook Reach (FLWR) is teaming up with Keep Austin Beautiful for a clean up of our favorite urban stream just one block from the park – Willowbrook Reach. RSVP here.
MONDAY, June 4, 4-6pm
Opening Day Pool Party
It’s officially swimming season at Patterson Park! Join friends and neighbors at the pool on Monday. We’ll have ice cream to celebrate the start of summer at the pool. See hours of operation on the city’s website.
THURSDAY, June 21, 9pm
Movies in the Park: How to Train Your Dragon
Join us at the park for Austin Parks Foundation‘s Movies in the Park, sponsored by Rolling Roadshow and Alamo Drafthouse. Bring a picnic or stop by the one of the food trucks: Garbo’s Lobster Truck, Connor’s Creamery, Noble Sandwich Co. Movie starts when the sun sets. More info on Facebook.
Join Friends of Patterson Park for to discuss our latest proposal to make our neighborhood park an even more comfortable and enjoyable place to spend time with family and friends. Coffee and muffins provided.
WHEN: Saturday, May 19, 10a.m.
WHERE: Patterson Park pavilion
The following proposal fulfills the priorities of updating aging furnishings to current PARD standards, adding a limited number of new furnishings where they would be useful, maximizing functionality of the trail, and improving the connection to Mueller. To read more, visit https://friendsofpattersonpark.org/parkplan/.
PROJECT 1: UPDATING FURNISHINGS
1) Add seating on trail at
* Dance of the Cosmos sculpture
* hill west of playground
* under oaks on Wilshire Blvd.
2) Add picnic tables
* next to tennis court
* next to volleyball court
* under trees across from Dance of the Cosmos sculpture
3) Add grills at picnic tables
* between bathrooms and Wilshire Blvd.
* between new grove of trees and tennis court
* small pavilion next to basketball court
* under oaks next to Schieffer Ave.
4) Replace trash cans at southeastern end of park (6)
5) Add trash cans next to picnic tables
* between playground and Genesis Church
* Dance of the Cosmos sculpture
PROJECT 2: TRAIL IMPROVEMENTS
1) Add trail markers for the 3/4 mile loop
2) Add kiosk with map and information indicating location of park amenities and nearby trails and green spaces
3) Add shade structure at intersection of Wilshire and Airport Blvds. to improve connection to Mueller