Come show your love this Friday night at the Patterson Pride Picnic, 6-9pm! As Pride month comes to an end, let’s get together for a potluck feast. Patterson Park embraces all of our neighbors, the LGBTQ+ community included. Bring a dish or drink to share and see how colorful you can make it. Rainbows are welcome!
Friends of Patterson Park
June 17, 2019 Community Meeting Notes
Thanks to everyone who came out for to talk about what comes next for our neighborhood park!
- Community Priority: Landscaping
- Plant replacement shade trees around the pool
- Install tree identification signs for community grove planted in 2018, other trees around the park, and our heritage post oaks
We discussed different kinds of signage used to ID trees, and settled on fewer signs with info on multiple trees. These would engage park visitors in searching for the leaves and flowers to ID trees. Trees will need to be watered either by volunteers watering community grove or swim team volunteers. Potential funding through Urban Forest Grant or Austin Parks Foundation Neighborhood Grant, and supplement with $700 raised by the Patterson Piranha Swim Team. This project has been submitted to PARD for review and will be put to a Friends of Patterson Park vote this week.
- Community Priority: Shade structures and athletic field/court improvements
- resurface basketball court, replace hoops, add kid-sized hoops, install shade structure
- install new backstop at baseball diamond, bench with shade for players, small bleacher or bench with shade for family & friends, informational signage, storage shed for materials needed for upkeep of diamond.
The basketball court has been in need of serious attention for 15+ years. The addition of hoops at the basketball court at a lower height appropriate for kids would bring additional users. Solar lighting for the court was discussed as there is no electricity on this side of the park, but it seems that a large solar array would be necessary so it is probably not feasible at this time.
The Cap City Cobras have been practicing at the baseball field for four years and have made several improvements in that time. These have resulted in the field being used for practice by little league teams and families in the surrounding neighborhoods. The closest open baseball field from Patterson Park is Rosewood Rec Center, which is 2.8 miles away.
The Cobras recommend urgent upgrades to the backstop and signage to improve safety. Seating and a storage shed would be desirable. The Patterson field is not appropriate for games because it lacks netting in the outfield, so it will be strictly a practice field. Potential funding through City of Austin’s Neighborhood Partnering Program grant. This project will be submitted to PARD for review to determine feasibility and put to a Friends of Patterson Park vote later this summer.
Please join Friends of Patterson Park at the pavilion on Monday, June 17 at 6pm for a community meeting to discuss next steps on our Neighborhood Park Plan. We will have pizza delivered, please feel free to bring a side dish to share.
- New sidewalk connections to Patterson by Public Works.
- Volunteers needed to water new community grove planted with Treefolks, APF, & PARD in 2018.
- Neighborhood Partnering Program project for new furnishings and trail improvements to be installed in mid July.
- Celebration of park improvements planned for early fall with PARD and CoA.
- plant fast growing shade trees around pool to replace 4 lost in recent years. FUNDING: 2018 donations by Patterson Piranha Swim Team
- install tree identification signs for community grove behind pool and bathrooms, post oaks, other trees. Two options are 3 larger signs with identifying illustrations and info, or 20+ small signs leading on “tree walk” around park. POTENTIAL FUNDING: Urban Forest Grant (due July)
- resurface and shade basketball court
- various improvements to baseball field proposed by Cap City Cobras, who have been practicing at Patterson for four years and making improvements to the field themselves. They recommend a new backstop, bench, small row of bleachers, shade structure, netting, signage and shed. POTENTIAL FUNDING: Neighborhood Partnering Program Grant (due October)
Join neighbors at the Patterson playground Thursday afternoon to celebrate our new monkey bars, climber, spinners and mini amphitheatre with some ice cream. So grateful to the Austin Parks Foundation for the Austin City Limits Music Festival community grant that made it possible, the support of the Austin Parks and Recreation Department, and the design and installation by Urban Patchwork. Plus all the friends and neighbors who have supported this project in many different ways over the last two years and donated through Amplify Austin!
Ice Cream Party at the Patterson Playground
Thursday, May 16, 4-6 pm
The 5th annual Patterson Easter Egg Hunt was complete madness and so much fun! There were perhaps 300 neighbors there, and three separate egg hunts for about 3,000 eggs. Little kids, big kids, and a small 2nd round for those that missed the initial dash. Huge thanks to Servant Church for partnering with FoPP once again, to everyone who contributed eggs, cascarónes, and brunch food, and to Cherrywood Coffeehouse for donating coffee.
The 5th annual Patterson Park Easter Egg Hunt will be on Saturday, April 20 at 10 a.m! Friends of Patterson Park is pleased to partner with Servant Church for another great community event at the east end of the park. We will meet at the small pavilion by the community garden to hunt for eggs, blow lots of bubbles, smash cascarónes and enjoy a potluck brunch in our beautiful neighborhood park!
Wondering what you can bring on Saturday morning? Extra plastic eggs with toys/stickers/candy, extra chocolate eggs, extra cascarónes, OJ, fruit, pan dulce, muffins, tacos or other brunchy food to share. We’ll have coffee and lemonade.
Egg hunt starts at 10 a.m. sharp! We’ll have separate search areas for the 4+ and >3 kids, and a golden egg prize!
2017 egg hunt. Photos by J. Potter-Miller/FoPP
Share your love for Patterson by donating to Friends of Patterson Park during Amplify Austin Day. We are raising 💰 for community events and park improvement projects. You can help us make park dreams a reality!
Amplify Austin is a community-wide day of online giving to our city’s nonprofit organizations. It starts February 28 at 6:00 p.m. and ends March 1 at 6:00 p.m. Join us for an ice cream party at the pavilion Friday 4–6p.m. to wrap up our campaign! 🍦
Your donations will be matched 100% by our generous neighborhood business sponsors, and the Austin Parks Foundation will provide an additional 25% match of the first $2500.
Tito’s Vodka will add $5 to every donation that uses #LoveTitos in the check out form to support our fiscal sponsor, the Austin Parks Foundation.
Join Friends of Patterson Park on Saturday, March 3rd for It’s My Park Day! Meet us at 9am at the pavilion for a family work day. Sign up at this link to receive an awesome t-shirt and sign a liability waiver.
WHEN: Saturday, March 2
WHERE: Patterson Park pavilion
This is an opportunity for the folks of all ages to volunteer. We will have coffee, lemonade, tacos, and muffins to fuel our volunteers. Thank you to the Austin Parks Foundation for organizing this city-wide work day at Austin’s parks. We’ve accomplished so much at volunteer work days over the last several years and always have a great time!
It’s My Park Day, March 2018. Photos by J. Potter-Miller/FoPP.
Join neighbors for a magical walk around Patterson Park to celebrate the holiday season this Thursday! The weather is expected to be perfect, and Friends of Patterson Park invites you out to enjoy hot chocolate at the small pavilion by the community garden on the east end of the park. Cookies are welcome if you are inspired to share, as is help setting up starting at 4pm. The more hands on deck, the more (battery-powered) luminarias we can light. Happy holidays everyone!