We are thrilled to share the news that the City of Austin’s Neighborhood Partnering Program has approved our 2019 grant application and awarded our group $134,741 for improvements to the athletic facilities at Patterson Park! The objective of the project is to increase opportunities for residents of all ages to engage in play and physical activity at Patterson Park.
NPP’s review was delayed first by a staff shortage and later the pandemic, and their board just met to review two years of applications. After an agreement is signed this summer, we hope we will be able to implement the various elements of the project by the end of the year.
The project includes $134,741 for
* new shade structure over the basketball court
* two new youth height basketball baskets
* replacing existing basketball backboards
* new park benches behind baseball backstop
* new limestone seating along trail next to the baseball field
Our 33% match (valued at $44,144) includes
* new baseball backstop (already completed with an Austin Parks Foundation grant + our own funds)
* replacing last 6 cement trash cans
* $3,000 cash
* volunteer work hours at Patterson Park and the Willowbrook Reach greenbelt
We deeply appreciate the work Friends of Patterson Park did developing this project with thoughtful discussion on our listserv and at community meetings, gathering support at the meetings of four neighborhood associations and door-to-door around the park, and preparing and reviewing the grant application.
We are also grateful for the neighbors and neighborhood businesses who have supported our Amplify Austin fundraising campaigns and made our financial contribution to this project possible, Austin Parks Foundation for our recent Austin City Limits Music Festival Grant, and the many volunteers who mulch our park, clean up trash at our creek, and tend to the vegetable and pollinator gardens at our school. This is truly an amazing park community that came together to bring more fun, exercise and sun safety to Patterson Park!