Part of the Neighborhood Park Plan series of posts.
Friends of Patterson Park is preparing for the second step in the execution of our Neighborhood Park Plan. The plan identified community priorities for Patterson Park based on the survey we conducted in 2016. We have applied for funding for the #1 priority, playground improvements, and hope to carry out this project in the fall. The #2 and #3 priorities, pool and bathroom improvements, must be undertaken by the city due to their scope. This brings us to updating the amenities/furnishings (#4) and trail improvements (#5).
When we began the park planning process, our furnishings were all aging and the trail was in poor condition. The Parks and Recreation Department has done extensive work at Patterson in the last two years, including replacing many off the old pebble encrusted trash cans and aging metal picnic tables, and reconditioning and extending the crushed granite trail. In addition, FoPP has secured grants from the Austin Parks Foundation to update the picnic tables and trash cans at the pavilion and pool.
To complete the work of updating furnishings, we would like to
- replace the remaining old trash cans (6) and add some at new locations (2-3)
- add grills to some of the heavily used picnic tables that don’t have them, including the small pavilion (2-4)
- add new seating (benches or boulders) along the trail (3-4)
- add picnic tables next to amenities , including the sculpture and some of the athletic fields/courts (3-4)
To complete the trail improvements, we would like to
- add new seating along the trail at a few locations (also part of furnishings updates above)
- add trail markers for 3/4 mile loop
- add map or signage indicating location of park amenities
- improve connection to Mueller with signage to the Southwest Greenway trail and shaded seating at intersection